A Georgian Bay UNESCO Global Geopark will engage and benefit all of Georgian Bay
Today the Bay is under pressure as the urban frontier slowly moves northward. Establishment of a prestigious UNESCO Geopark in Georgian Bay (Canada’s largest) will ensure over the coming decades that the Bay becomes a robust ‘territory of resilience’ capable of successfully managing development pressure, while providing exciting opportunities for regional geotourism, public education, sustainable and balanced development and ongoing fundamental research into its rocks and landscapes.
Based on surveys of Geoparks globally and within Canada participating communities experience:
- Measurable increases in tourism, job creation and new business start ups
- Leverage a major marketing platform to help position and promote the Municipality to Canadian and International tourists, new residents, and investors
- Informed strategic and environmental planning and policies due to new, localized research findings
- Improved connections and collaboration with other communities on Georgian Bay
First Nations and Metis Nation of Ontario Councils
A platform to
- Build public engagement, awareness and understanding of Indigenous history, storytelling, cultural experiences with Keepers of traditional ecological knowledge to understand their way of life with the land.
- Learn about the communities’ role in conservation and protection.
- Develop initiatives on conservation tourism, education, knowledge sharing, research, trade, and protection of Mother Earth.
- Collaborate with municipalities, conservation groups and educators.
- Participate in new research collaborations between and among conservation groups and the Geopark.
- Access a library of Georgian Bay wide research findings, data, resources and networks that can enhance and amplify the efforts of conservation groups and research initiatives.
Tourism and Businesses
A platform to
- Leverage a major marketing platform
- Add news and new excitement to existing destinations and attractions
- Tap into new customer markets
- Develop and promote new conservation and ecotourism, service and product development and packaging.
- Link to and help promote leading tourism sites and resources:
- South Georgian Bay
- Visit Georgian Bay
- Wasaga Beach Tourism
- Manitoulin Island
- Destination Ontario
Permanent and Seasonal Residents
A platform and system to help
- Drive effective and widespread sustainable policies and practices for the Georgian Bay community at large facing population demand and growth.
- Unite and coordinate the efforts of all of Georgian Bay associations and communities.
- Access to new curriculum from the Geopark
Virtual Field Trips
- Collaboration with other schools and Municipalities
- Job opportunities
- Work has already begun to develop educational material, virtual field trips and an important new Research Initiative.